Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Niagara Falls trip



August Journaling

1.    Today we covered two small windows in our family room with a film that looks like stained glass. The alternative is to look at our neighbour’s brick wall.

2.    Church: Covid week 20. We’re doing our bbq today instead of tomorrow. Steak and scallops.

3.    Civic holiday. The last day of this part of my husband’s vacation. He’s going on a fishing charter with a guy who taught him to fish in high school, and a man and his teenage son from church. They each got a giant fish. My husband got the second largest, an 8 pound, 26 inch chinook salmon which he filleted and froze once he came home. The young man, 16 who came with them caught the largest and first fish. He was so amazed he kept touching it like he didn’t believe it was real. He wants to do more outdoorsy things now.

4.    Writing an article looking on the bright side of the pandemic.

5.    Went to Hamilton with my mom. Spent an hour with the grandkids who were riding their new bikes. My five year old grandson can ride without training wheels really well; he learned quickly. The three and a half year old still has training wheels. The baby recognizes me from our week together up north and is smiling and cooing at me. I love it.

6.    There’s a new leadership race for the federal conservatives, with two pro-life candidates. It’s not likely they’ll get it but it would be nice if the party would acknowledge the influence of the social conservatives.

7.    I got my hair highlighted, first time since October. Some are using the pandemic to embrace their true colours, but I’m not ready to stop fighting the greys. Then my husband and I had dinner at a restaurant patio.

8.    Vacuuming, once a month is all I can do. Then my husband cleans the floors downstairs once a week. I also did the laundry and checked on my garden. My tomatoes and red peppers are ripening. Sausages for dinner.

9.    Church; covid week 21. Ribs for dinner.

10. Trip to Costco.

11. Pain clinic appointment.

12. Chiro and massage appointment.

13. My grandniece who just turned one is coming over for her first sauna. Also my sister, mom, nieces, and daughter and grandkids for a bbq.

14. A few errands and a nap. My husband is off for another two weeks. Pain clinic.

15. Chiro and massage.

16. Covid week 22. Picked up the grandkids for a three night sleepover.

17. Bike riding, long walks, and a visit to their other great-grandmother.

18. Went to a lakeside park with the grandkids for a picnic, bike riding and waterpark. Then a sauna.

19. Dropped the grandkids back home. Exhausted. Childcare is for the young and healthy.

20. Going downtown to have dinner at Barsa Taberna for Spanish cuisine which I learned to love in Barcelona last year. I’m having Mangria, pan con tomate with manchego cheese, garlic shrimp and churros with dulce de leche for dessert.

21. Dinner party at our friends’ place.

22. Church covid week 23 at church. There are a lot more people out now. Then we went for a walk on the Ajax waterfront path.

23. Brunch with friends from our old church.

24. Pain clinic for face injections.

25. Feeling kind of bored for some reason.

26. It’s our youngest daughter’s 28th birthday!

27. Going to Niagara Falls for two nights since my husband is still on vacation. We stopped at our daughter’s to see the grandkids since we can’t check in to the hotel until four. We’re staying at the Embassy Suites Hotel. Very nice. We had dinner at the Copacabana Brazilian Steakhouse. It was very good, but everything is overpriced here.

28. We walked along the Falls today, and went underground to view the falls from beneath. Beautiful and powerful. Then a nap, and dinner at a different Brazilian Steakhouse called Brasa. Again, I try not to think of how much food the cost of that one meal could buy.

29. Stopped at my daughter’s on the way home to drop off a gift for our newest granddaughter. They’re camping. Back home and doing laundry.

30. Church covid week 24. There were two baptisms of young adults.

31. My husband took an extra day off work, so last day of vacation.

No comments: