Monday, July 13, 2009

Strike Widow--Day Twenty-Three

July 13, 2009

Outside my window...a cloud bank is moving in. Not sure how long I'll be able to sit out here on the deck today, but at least I went for a walk earlier.
I am thinking...that although it's nice to have another 17 days off (I have the best job in the world!),it's a bummer that my husband is still locked in at work because of this strike. My daughters are working, so I'm on my own.
I am thankful for...this new weight loss program I'm on. It's the only one that has ever worked for me. It's called SUREslim and it works to control your metabolism naturally, by controlling what food you eat and when. You have to wait five hours between meal, and no snacking. It took a few days to get used to it, because it's such a habit to reach for food, but I was ready to lose the weight and feel good about myself, so I'm determined to stick with it. I'm even tolerating the required seeds. I'm so encouraged by the success. In two weeks I've lost 6 pounds and 9 inches! It's the inches that matter more to me than the weight. I can see a difference. I've even lost my double chin!
From the kitchen...Atlantic salmon (I've been on a salmon kick lately, since I found frozen salmon that's as good as fresh), and I don't have my husband to cook for. They eat very well at work. I'm also making cauliflower, broccoli and beans, with raspberries for dessert.
I am wearing...jean Capri pants and a blue, black and white print top.
I am reading...Spring Rains, by Gayle Roper, although I wish I was reading one of the other twelve books (Yes, twelve) I bought this week. But I'll be good and finish what I've started.
I am hoping...that the strike end this week. We usually go away for a few days for our anniversary, and we already have a hotel booked in Kingston. If he can't come, I'm going anyway. My friend, Kathy has come to my rescue and will go sightseeing with me, at least for two of the three nights. It's nice to have friends.
I am hearing...the breeze blowing through the trees and the sounds of the neighbourhood.
Around the house...my eldest is up working at summer camp. She had a bunch of campers this past week with lots of attitude. She was in tears several times, but she said she prayed for them, and by the end of the week, they apologized to her for their bad attitude. She said they were also very moved and convicted during the messages. My youngest is finished her training and now has the day campers. Last week there were 26 and this week 40, partly because the public daycares are closed due to the strike. She is enjoying it far more than she expected, because she didn't think she'd like working with kids. Like teaching, there is alot of work to do at home to prepare for the activities, games, and lessons. My husband came home for his first 24 hour "shore leave". The ministry of labour told them they had to let them leave for 24 hours at a time. Before this he'd come home for just 6-12 hours. This was the first time he slept in his own bed in three weeks. He chose to come from Saturday night to Sunday night, because he missed coming to church. He'd only been away a few weeks, but people cheered him when he walked in at church, like he was a celebrity. Funny. For myself, I have set some goals and a to-do list for these days off; much of the list includes fun things, like the trip to Kingston, a TFC soccer game on Saturday with my husband, a family dinner at my mother-in-law's house, and a few beach days. But I'd really like to get some serious work done on my stories.
One of my favourite things...fresh raspberries.
A few plans for the week...other than what I just listed above, a beach day tomorrow. I'm going by myself to the Provincial Park an hour north of here, just to read and write. It's supposed to be 24C and sunny tomorrow. I hope so. I find it so relaxing to be next to the water.

No comments: