Monday, April 4, 2011

Music for Malawi

April 4, 2011.

Outside my window...grey and overcase, but mild, about 14C.
I am thinking...I'm glad my daughter's friend is okay. She was attacked on the street in Hamilton, walking home on Saturday night. It was just two blocks and she was talking on the phone to her boyfriend at the time. A man passed her and then turned around and hit her on the head so she fell and dropped her phone. Her boyfriend could hear her screaming but was powerless to help. The man punched her in the face and tried to touch her, but then for some reason, just ran away. She was shaken up, and reported it to police in the morning. I know it could have been much worse, but even so, these things follow you for a long time and make you jumpy.
I am thankful for...the incident not being as bad as it could have been.
From the kitchen...tilapia provencale, salad.
I am wearing...purple workout pants, a grey top and a hoodie...and a spring jacket.Yay!
I am reading...Surrender Bay by Denise Hunter. I know it sounds like some tawdry romance novel, but it's actually a Christian book, and it's about surrender to God.
I am hoping...we have enough sweets for the intermission during music night. Our church is providing the venue for a Music for Malawi night on Friday. It's to raise funds for musical instruments and evangelism tools.
I am hearing...the train.
Around the house...my daughters will soon be in exams, then this year will be over for them. My eldest is finishing her third year and my youngest her first of university. Our eldest (20) informed us she is a vegetarian, for health reasons. I can handle that better than if it had been for ethical or religious reasons, but I still don't really 'get' it. I told her my concerns; that she get enough protein, especially because she is a runner and her muscles need it. Also that vegetarianism can be a hindrance to ministry if you don't eat what's in front of you. Also, I warned her about the snobbishness that sometimes comes with it. What else can I do? They have to live their own lives, and I guess they can't be my clones, although I was probably expecting that, in the back of my mind.I also told her I wasn't running a restaurant and would not cook fish every day she's home, or make two separate suppers. Also that both her grandmothers are bound to feel hurt, because she won't be eating what they cook. Really? Even turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas? I don't get it. I never have. I don't know how we ended up with a hippie child, since that is the opposite of everything we are. But whatever. I got it off my chest.
One of my favourite things...free healthcare. I went to the doctor's today. My appointment, my drugs, and the tests, scans and scopes I have to do were all free. I love Canada!
Some plans for the week...work three nights. Our floor is back to normal with our own patients, again. Even when we're busy with them, I will not complain, because it could be worse: we could have Leukemics. No thanks. Been there, done that for twenty years. If I wanted to work with Leukemics I would have stayed on my old floor. I like our patient population; a mixture of chemo, surgical, radiation and clinical trials patients. On Thursday we're going to my niece's highschool play. She is Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. Then Friday, I have to bake, shop and clean, then go to church to prepare for the music night. After the music night we're having four people stay overnight on their way back to Belleville. I'm not complaining, I enjoy our life. It's just busy sometimes.

No comments: