Monday, September 13, 2010

What's Your Tag?

Whether it's good to do this or not, I find that the longer you know someone, eventually it becomes easier to add a personality tag next to their name. Of course, you wouldn't say it out loud, but it's the characteristic that tends to define a person overall. It may not be fair. I've had a label on someone that I wouldn't give to them today, because they've grown and matured. But these tags do come from somewhere.

For example, there's a lady at our church. I would see her name and think, 'faithful prayer warrior' beside it. That's how I see her overall. Some tags aren't so flattering: fair weather friends, uncommitted, argumentative. You get the idea.

The thing I was thinking about (and I'm not sure i want to hear the answer to this), is, 'What's my tag?' What's the phrase or sentence that appears beside my name when people think of me? I ask that because we don't often have insight into our own faults and shortcomings, nor our attributes. Would I have an attribute or a shortcoming after my name? After a post like this, it may well be, judgmental.

As I said, I don't want to know. That would require soul-searching and humility to change, if it's something negative.

The idea of a tag is not original to me. God used it when he spoke about Job to Satan. He said, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
Praise indeed.

What's your tag?

No comments: