Thursday, May 10, 2018

Do you see M.E.?


Do you see M.E. Prime Minister Trudeau?

Up until 2015 I was a healthy, active woman, working full time as an Oncology Nurse, when I was struck with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

I’ve seen many doctors, been investigated, and finally diagnosed, only to find that’s the extent of it. There are no approved treatments for M.E., no clinical trials, no funds dedicated to this debilitating illness. It struck me in 2015, the year cases of ME spiked by 38% in Canada. This is an alarming statistic.

We are the missing millions, too weak to protest, walk, or raise funds to get our lives back. We grieve all we’ve lost, we fear we’ll be part of the 95% who are incurable. This disease needs to be studied. A bio-marker needs to be found so it can be diagnosed early and believed by the community and even some in the medical community. In the past, before MS and epilepsy were associated with bio-markers they were also classified as hysteria and dismissed.

This disease affects women disproportionately, and therefore our suffering is minimized or dismissed. You claim to care about women. Please be the Prime Minister who will direct funds towards the study of this devastating disease. Canada should be a leader in the study of this illness as we have one of the highest rates of M.E in the world. I am one of the 580,000 sufferers in Canada, and one of the 17 plus million worldwide.

I am missing from life. I can no longer work in the career I loved. I have to draw on disability funds when I would rather be working and active as I was before. I want to have hope; hope for a cure, if not for me, then for the others who will get this illness. It’s hard to prevent something you don’t understand. No one is safe from it. It affects men, women, and children. It can strike you or a loved one. My daughters have a 50% chance of developing this. That terrifies me. Please see M.E.

Pia Thompson
#MEawareness

No comments: