Thursday, January 14, 2010

Earthquake

Jan. 15, 2010.

Outside my window...a mild winter night. It's 2:30 in the morning.
I am thinking...what a devastating catastrophe in Haiti this week! The earthquake struck a country ill-equipped to respond to it. We have supported a girl there for the past ten years. I hope she and her family are safe. They don't live near the epi-centre. I checked with the Mission and apparently one of their kindergarten teachers was killed, and there is some damage of supplies and food. They don't yet know the status of their students (there are thousands of them).
I am thankful for...the safe return of our Pastor and his wife from an extended holiday in Texas. I love them a lot.
I am wearing...my uniform. I'm at work.
From the kitchen...curried chicken, rice and peas, okra. I made it the way I always have, except for a different brand of curry. and yet, immediately after eating, my daughter vomited and broke out in hives. She's eaten this food many times before so I don't see how she could be allergic to it. She also broke the blood vessels around her eyes when she vomited, so now she's self-conscious about going to school tomorrow. Poor girl. We gave her benadryl but I may have to stop at the drugstore tomorrow to get her some make-up to conceal the redness.
I am reading...Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin. It's Christian fiction, about four generations of women who find what God wants them to do with their lives.
I am hoping...to get some money to New Missions. I'd rather support that charity in Haiti because it's the one that will directly affect our sponsored child. It's good to see the world community rally to Haiti's side. Unimaginable devastation and sorrow.
I am hearing...silence, which is why I have a few minutes to blog.
Around the house...it looks like I have some errands to run before I sleep tomorrow. We received a letter from the lawyer and we have to get some documents to them asap so we'll get the paperwork done in time for our closing...in TWO WEEKS!
One of my favourite things...My job. I've said it before, but I really do love it. I just heard this week that we are keeping our surgical program at our hospital and on our unit. There had been rumours that they were planning to move it to a sister hospital. I wondered if it was going to happen when the surgeons bought us a big-screen t.v. for Christmas. I thought it was a going-away present. So glad it wasn't. Yay! They finally realized that having a breast removed is not the same as having an appendix out. We are oncology nurses first, surgical nurses second.
A few plans for the week...errands, sleep, cleaning, movie with my daughter, church, annual physical, and work four more twelve hour nights, then I'm off for 25 days; one week before the move and two weeks afterwards.

No comments: