Monday, March 8, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Writing

Date: March 8, 2010

Outside my window...a beautiful spring day. So beautiful that I had the patio doors open for a few hours this morning. Yay! Spring is here (I hope).
I am thinking...I had a freak out this past weekend. I was frantic because I couldn't find my main story's paper copy, which is the majority of it, since I've only typed three chapters into the computer. I searched and searched, knowing there were only a few places it could be. I started to wonder if when I sorted through my papers, I had accidentally placed it in the throw away pile. I prayed and prayed. My eyes were filling up. It represented hours of work and creativity. Then I found it tucked in between the books my husband has for his course. How it got there, I have no idea. I was never more relieved to find something. One benefit: I'm determined to get my hand-written stories onto the computer. Time is an issue, but I probably have to do it myself as a previous arrangement with someone else did not end well.
I am thankful for...our south facing deck. This morning I had the house to myself, so I sat out on the deck and wrote for two hours. I got a thousand words written, and a sense of well-being from the sunshine.
From the kitchen...linguine and shrimp (see recipe under Main Courses).
I am wearing...jeans, my SUOMI shift, a cardigan, and my beige leather jacket. Yeah, I'm feeling springy.
I am reading...The Daily Writer by Fred White. He calls it a daily devotional, although there's nothing Christian about it, but it does have an idea for every day of the year to help you cultivate the habit of writing daily, i.e. keeping a journal, writing out your dreams, blogging, describing people on a train, etc.
I am hoping...we can draw up a floor plan for the basement layout. I'd like to get the sauna built first.
I am hearing...the sound of the train. I love the gentle rocking. I'm surprised I stay awake.
Around the house...we had a great weekend, both girls were home. We used the hot tub. My husband and I had a great date Friday night. He really appreciated the 101 things I loved about him. Men need to hear those things. Then we had a family from church over for dinner on Sunday. Roast beef and good fellowship are always a good combination. I also was contacted by a producer from the CBC, asking me about an article I wrote two years ago. Funny, eh?
One of my favourite things...sunshine.
Some plans for the week...Another long week, four twelves. I have a student with me for three of the nights. It's good because they help with some of the work, like vital signs and medications. It's bad because I have to stop and explain everything I'm doing. Overall, though I enjoy training new staff or students. Then my youngest daughter's friend is visiting for the weekend. We have a dinner party on Saturday night, and a church luncheon on Sunday.

No comments: