Monday, November 8, 2010

Perseverance

Outside my window...a cool, but sunny day.
I am thinking...that NaNoWriMo is coming along, in spite of the busyness of life. I've managed to write 10, 294 words in seven days. It's a little short of the 11,669 I should have by now, but I'm mostly pleased that I'm learning the discipline of writing every day; due to the quota and deadline. So far it's flowing smoothly, with no real writer's block yet. I've heard the second week is when most people quit. I hope and plan to keep going. Writing historical fiction so quickly has its pros and cons. In favour of it, there is so much real info out there that is often stranger than fiction. Just telling the story as it happened is exciting enough, and then I have to flesh out the characters. I've got unlimited material to work with. On the down side, I want to stay accurate. Although I've done the research previously, I find when I'm writing a particular scene where I have the actual words spoken at my fingertips, I actually quote them. It makes it easier for me to do the dialogue on those parts, but I'm slowed down by typing from my sources. I think when you write historical fiction there's an accountability. I can make up the other stuff, but for things that actually happened, I want to represent it accurately.
I am thankful for...learning to write directly onto my lap tap. I can't say enough how big a deal this is for me. I thought I wouldn't be able to "create" directly on a keyboard. I said, "I'm a pen and paper person. I'm old school. I can't change." But I did. For that, I'm thankful for the NaNo experience.
From the kitchen...Lick's burgers, at home. This is not a day for fussing in the kitchen.
I am wearing...jeans, a purple sweater, my coat (with a poppy).
I am reading...Lonestar Homecoming by Colleen Coble.
I am hoping...to keep up with my NaNo novel, and come up with a plot.
I am hearing...the train on the way to work.
Around the house...I'm painting the guest room. Not because I have extra time, but because we have guests coming in a few weeks. I went shoe shopping with my daughter. She bought a pair of boots, I bought three pairs of shoes. One for you; three for me. Words to live by. (Not really. I don't get the shoe thing. I just buy them when I need to). We visited our other daughter in Hamilton on Saturday. She ran her 10 km race in 1:04, then we went to an antique store. I didn't find a chair, but we got a nice globe on a stand, for the living room. Then we went to a nice bistro, called Koosh which had amazing food. Then we went to her church, Harvest Oakville. Great preaching. I'm glad she chose well.
One of my favourite things...antiquing was fun. It's kind of like a garage sale, but a lot more expensive.
Some plans for the week...work three nights, bake for the students at TBS, finish the second coat in the guest room. Hopefully buy a bed for that room. Speak at the Ladies' Meeting on Saturday, on the Women in the Genealogy of Christ: part one, Tamar. I'm ready, I just have to review it. I also need to finish reading the book of Genesis by Saturday. It was a challenge from the last ladies' meeting, and I like challenges. Sunday, a providential dinner at church.

No comments: