Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Optimist or Pessimist? Neither

So there's the old question: Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? Are you an optimist or a pessimist? While considering this, I decided I was a realist. I think the cup has just enough in it. I may be assumed to be a pessimist because I don't always have a can-do attitude and I'm an introvert and people often assume that shy people are standoffish. On the other hand, I can say I have a good life, few stresses, I'm not a worrier by nature, and I don't consider myself unfriendly, once you get to know me. But because I am an oncology nurse, I see real life. I hear sad stories. I know not every story has a happy ending.

But as a realist with a foot planted firmly in both camps, I decided to do what those prone to pessimism recommend: make a list of things that make you happy and think on those things. Here goes;

-when I read my daughters' tweets about loving and serving God.
-when we are on vacation.
-when I'm pleased with something I've written.
-when I hear my daughters laughing together.
-when I shell peas on a hot summer day and then eat them.
-when a patient thanks me for spending time teaching them what to expect in their cancer treatment. It makes me feel like I'm making a difference.
-when my husband makes me laugh.
-when my husband and I have a deep theological discussion.
-when I get encouraging feedback about something I've written.
-when we have friends over.
-when I'm on a beach.
-when I'm sitting by a lake.
-when I'm by a campfire with friends.
-when I have a nice glass of white wine.
-when I eat sushi.
-when I hear good preaching.
-when we have a bbq/picnic.
-when we go in the hot tub.
-when I have a nice, hot sauna.
-when my house is clean.
-when someone else does the cooking.
-when I look at my library.
-when I read a good book.
-when I play with my puppy.

No comments: