Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thanksgiving, Big Time!

Oct.12,2011.

Outside my window...overcast, and beginning to rain. I don't mind, since I'm working, but my husband is on a fishing trip. It was a hot, sunny weekend, which was great for Thanksgiving because we were able to stay out on the deck most of the day.
I am thinking...I was asked to do a five minute report at the SGF Assembly in November, on the Pastors' and Elders' Wives conference, which I already summarized below. For those of you with no fear of public speaking, you probably think, "What's the big deal?" But my first response was, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" but then I thought I should take this opportunity to grow, after all, I'm a big girl!
I am hoping...my husband has a good time. He wasn't able to find his bag of fishing lures even though we searched through every closet.
I am thankful for...how smoothly the day went yesterday. 27 people for dinner, all the food turned out, there was more than enough, the dog was fine with the crowd, my husband shared a few passages of Scripture before he prayed, and it was fun. We fit so much better in this house. Such a blessing! But since it was Thanksgiving, I'll share a few more things I'm thankful for: my salvation, my church, my Pastor, the Scriptures, fellowship of other believers, my husband, my marriage, my children, my extended family, my health, my job, our vehicle, my commute, a full pantry, my freedom, my country, my hobbies, my computer, my friends. I saw this quote the other day:
"What if what you had today was only what you thanked God for yesterday? What would you still have?" Jeff Eastwood
I am wearing...jeans and a printed green top, a black windbreaker.
From the kitchen...turkey pot pie with herbed dumpling crust, a.k.a leftovers.
I am hearing...Cupcake Wars.
I am reading...Hook, Line and Sinker by Susan May Warren.
Around the house...all cleaned up from the party. We ate the whole barnyard; turkey, ham, roast beef, and curried goat. Plus appetizers of bacon-wrapped scallops, stuffed mushroom caps, oriental party pack, pumpernickel and spinach dip, veggie platter. Side dishes of mashed potatoes, rice and peas, candied yams, carrots, parsnips, corn, tabouleh, brussel sprouts with honey, cauliflower with cheese sauce. Desserts of northern blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, cherry cheesecake, cookies and cream, and caramel apple cheesecake. Plus pina colada punch, berry punch, beer, wine, coffee and tea. Delish!
My husband has left for his three night fishing trip. I'll miss him, but it's better that he's gone during the weekdays when I'm working. He kept talking about how much he'll miss me, which is nice to hear.
My mom hasn't been out to church for six weeks now. At first she said it was because of John's death, and she was crying so much, but I think she is under conviction from the gospel and she'd rather avoid church than feel uncomfortable. I hope she gets so uncomfortable she flees to Jesus for relief! Lord, please save my Mom!
It was nice to have both girls home for the weekend. They were a big help with the prep.
I am over my cold for the most part. I missed last week at work. My husband put away the picnic table for the winter. I think it's too early. It's depressing to look out at that ugly blue tarp over the swing.
One of my favourite things...when writing flows. My Interviews With...have been a pleasure to write. Within two hours each one is done, and with very little editing. I'll post my Interview with Selfishness and my Interview with Compassion later this week. I had good feedback about Fear, and Darkness. So far, though, Selfishness has been the most convicting, partly because it seemed so easy to write from that viewpoint, and because it's something I struggle with (but not enough). It was more a part of me than Fear or Darkness, which were external. I sometimes had trouble knowing which one I was; Pia or Selfishness.
Some plans for the week...work three nights. Lazy Saturday. Sunday night we are attending a wedding reception for another one of our Muslim neighbours from our old neighbourhood. It's nice to keep in touch with them.

No comments: