Monday, December 5, 2011

Pikku Joulu

Outside my window...raining again. It's supposed to get colder later this week, down to one celsius, which is more seasonal.
I am thinking...it was another good weekend. On Saturday we went to London for our Pikku Joulu, which literally means little Christmas, but it’s basically an advanced Christmas celebration with my extended Finnish family whom we can’t see over Christmas week. We usually get together in London as my cousin has a big house and we all stay overnight. Finnish Christmas food is mushy. My husband always comments that he doesn’t think Finns have teeth. Yeah, yeah, same joke every year. The little ones get gifts to open after dinner and then we went in the hot tub and sauna. Our family is growing as the boyfriends come to stay over, too. They didn’t seem to be scared off by our crazy family. One of the five year olds opened her gifts and said, “I’ve been wanting this my whole life.”
I am hoping...to get Thursday night off. I’m supposed to work four nights, but I have one more vacation day to take before the last two weeks of December. I hope I get it.
I am thankful for...my puppy. He is one today. We love him more all the time and can’t imagine life without him. He’s getting a big ham bone today. We saved it from the weekend. He’ll be happy. When we were away, his former owner came and stayed with him. He obviously missed her. He didn’t bark as if she was a stranger. He was so excited.
I am wearing...black yoga pants and a purple sweater.
From the kitchen...cod and fried rice.
I am hearing...my daughter getting ready for school. She also got tickets to a band called Marianas Trench so she’s so excited. She may be on t.v. again.
I am reading...The Centurion’s Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke.
Around the house...We still need to buy our tree this week.
One of my favourite things...I got my Christmas gift early. It’s a 30 day trial of a new software program for writers, called Scrivener. I tried to figure it out yesterday but it didn’t go very well. Even the video tutorial was too fast for me to follow. I’ll try again today. It has a lot of features that will be helpful if I could just figure out how to use them.
Some plans for the week...work three nights, hopefully. Decorate the tree Thursday night. Go out Friday night for dinner with the Elders, Deacons and Wives for Christmas. Speak on Esther at the Ladies’ Christmas Brunch on Saturday morning.

No comments: