Thursday, September 17, 2009

Unexpected Depth

The Yada Yada Prayer Group
By Neta Jackson

This was my first time reading Christian chick-lit. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I wouldn't have even bought it, except for the recommendations of friends.
At first, it didn't seem to be 'about' anything, just a bunch of seemingly mismatched women, who are thrown together at a Christian woman's conference. So I expected it to be about the characters; an ex-con, a former drug addict, a real estate broker, a college student, a married mom of two, and several others. But it was also about the group growing together as a prayer group, in spite of their differences, to become close friends. The problems in their lives were real, but they all learned what it meant to be "just a sinner, saved by grace."
I found the race issues to be very typically an American thing, though, with worshipping in either "white churches" or "black churches" and never having anyone from another race into your home. I couldn't relate to that. The author brings those issues up in the discussion questions at the end of the book, as well.
This book blind-sided me with a depth of emotion I didn't expect from the whimsical cover and title. It was a great introduction to a series that I didn't think I would be interested in, until now.

No comments: