Sunday, December 7, 2008

Comfort Foods

When I was growing up, people would sometimes ask what typical Finnish food was. All I knew was what we ate; soups, stews and casseroles, with meat on special occasions. Don’t get me wrong; even though we were poor, we were never hungry. We may not have had a lot of extras or junk food, but we ate healthy food. Even if we had our standard potatoes; boiled or mashed, we would have gravy with meatballs, or hot dogs, cut up in it, or a white sauce with hard boiled eggs. We would get our protein that way. And when I left home, it was those things I remembered as the comfort food of home.
I think now I get a sense of security from a full fridge, freezer and pantry, although I know not to trust in those things. I’m thankful for the fact that we eat so well. It’s a blessing that you really only appreciate if you’ve had to do without.

No comments: