Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Finnish Christmas

Dec. 24, 2008

Outside my window...a white Christmas. That's good, I guess, although I could handle lying on a beach just as well.
I am thinking...that the fact that my mom has started having chest pain, and having it frequently, and at rest, concerns me more than I let on. She has an appointment with a cardiologist mid-January. I hope nothing happens before that.
I am thankful...that my husband is so easy-going. Over the years we've changed so that all of our gifts are opened on Christmas eve, and none on Christmas morning. I would understand if he was offended, but he doesn't seem to be. One more reason to love him.
From the kitchen...ham, roast beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots in white sauce, turnip casserole, Finnish Christmas desserts.
I am wearing... a new teal party dress. It makes my eyes look the same colour.
I am reading...A Tale of Two Sons by John MacArthur about the Parable of the Prodigal Son. It's amazing!
I am hoping...that we can get my new bookshelves up before the end of the week. I want to get organized while I'm off work.
I am hearing...Christmas music.
Around the house...my sister's family is over to celebrate the Finnish Christmas with us. I could live without the gift exchange for adults. None of us really needs anything. They are token gifts and quite unnecessary. I would be happy to buy just for the kids and enjoy the spiritual aspect of the holiday.
One of my favourite things...getting rid of debts. Our main mortgage is paid off next month. The rest of our debt-load is manageable and should still allow for vacations. When we first bought our house and money was tight, we used to joke when we deposited our mortgage cheque, "Well, we have the house for another two weeks." That's as far as we could see. Now, seventeen years later, it's paid. Praise God. It's just a little bungalow in Toronto, but it's ours, and it's home.
Some plans for the week...a day to recover tomorrow. Jamaican Christmas on Boxing Day. Visiting friends.

No comments: