Monday, October 6, 2008
Chicken Pot Pie with Herbed Dumpling Crust
This is the ultimate in comfort food on a cold day. Add a hearty soup or salad and it is very satisfying.
1. Bake 2 chicken breasts for 40-45 minutes. Add your usual spices or chicken bouillon powder with water. Cool and chop.
2. Peel 6 mini potatoes or two large potatoes. Slice to bite size pieces. Microwave for five minutes until softened.
3. Chop: 1/2 leek or one cooking onion.
4 mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup green beans
2/3 cup carrots
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4. In a large frying pan, saute, leek, garlic, mushrooms, and onion in mixture of butter and olive oil.
5. Add thyme, salt and pepper, poultry seasoning to taste.
6. Add celery, beans, carrots and peas.
7. Add potatoes, and chopped chicken.
8. Add 1 cup chicken stock with 2 tbsp. flour.
9. Heat until liquid thickens. Mix thoroughly.
10. Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into it.
11. Top with Herbed Dumpling Crust (below).
Herbed Dumpling Crust
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup cold butter
1/2 cup cold milk
Combine first five ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender. Sprinkle with milk. Gather together to form a dough. Roll dough on floured surface to fit the top of the casserole dish. Place directly on top of chicken mixture. Cut steam slits in dough. Brush top of crust with milk. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.