Thursday, October 16, 2008

Man Overboard!

The book, Man Overboard! The Story of Jonah by Sinclair B. Ferguson was very good. I thought I was familiar with the story, having heard it preached many times. But again, there are fresh insights and life applications that made me wonder how I had never noticed them before.
Although I preferred his book, Faithful God, an Exposition of the Book of Ruth, more, this book was thorough, theologically sound and encouraging. We all have some of Jonah in us, and God has to sometimes show us His mercy before we can really have a heart for evangelism or understand the character of God. This story also demonstrates the sovereignty of God in evangelism, and over His creation. It also teaches us that God can draw a straight line with a crooked stick; He can use weak, even disobedient people for His purposes. "The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time..." (Jonah 3:1)

No comments: